[CUCBC Captains] Fairbairn Cup 2018 - Thursday Weather Forecast

Amir Akbari - Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2018 jcbc-fairbairns at jesus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 27 23:54:30 GMT 2018

Dear all,

I am writing to inform you about our safety plan for Thursday, in case
of high winds. The forecast predicts winds of about 15-20 mph from a
southerly direction throughout the day.

Haven spoken to the JCBC Boatman, previous Fairbairn Secretaries and
CUCBC, we think that winds of 15-20 mph are still row-able for most
novice crews. However the standard of rowing is quite variable between
colleges/crews. Therefore,  we ask that each
club risk assesses its own novice crews and their ability and decides
for itself whether they are sufficiently competent to deal with the
conditions forecast. If during marshalling we observe any crews clearly
struggling to cope with the conditions, we will pull them from racing.
This is not something we want to do so please make sure your coxes and
crews are well prepared for the race and are safe and alert during
racing. If conditions worsen throughout the day, I will be in contact
with all marshals to let crews know of any cancellations.

We will be giving all crews increased time gaps to try and avoid any
situations with overtaking and increasing the number of marshals along
the course. A full safety plan can be found attached. We advice crews
taking part to have adequate (reasonably windproof) layers to marshal
in, both before and after the race. We also want to reiterate that each
novice crew must have at least one person to bank party and to help
assist the crew when marshalling.

There will be an assessment of the forecast on Wednesday afternoon and
then, if needed, an inspection of the full course on Thursday morning
before crews boat. All updates will be posted on the website, by email
and on the Facebook group. In the event of any cancellation, the novice
races will be rescheduled for the start of next term. The senior races
will go ahead as planned on Friday.

If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me by email.

Kind Regards,
Amir

--
Amir Akbari