[CUCBC Captains] Fairbairn Cup 2018 - Thursday Weather Forecast

Amir Akbari - Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2018 jcbc-fairbairns at jesus.cam.ac.uk
Wed Nov 28 19:04:46 GMT 2018

Dear all,

I am writing to confirm that we are planning to go ahead with racing 
tomorrow, pending a full inspection of the course tomorrow morning.

As mentioned in my previous email, please ensure that the novices have 
sufficient layers for marshalling before and after the race. The weather 
is forecast to be wet as well as windy particularly for the first 
division of the day.

If we see any crews during marshalling that look unable to complete the 
course safely we will have to pull them from the race. We envisage 
marshalling to be the most difficult as crews will be blown when 
stationary so ask that you brief your novice crews of the situation, 
reminding them to stay alert and focused.

During the day we will continue to assess the situation and racing will 
be stopped if it becomes dangerous to continue.

We wish all crews the best of luck with their races tomorrow and Friday. 
You can collect your race numbers from Jesus Boathouse from 07:30am 


On 2018-11-27 23:54, Amir Akbari - Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2018 wrote:
> Dear all,
> I am writing to inform you about our safety plan for Thursday, in case
> of high winds. The forecast predicts winds of about 15-20 mph from a
> southerly direction throughout the day.
> Haven spoken to the JCBC Boatman, previous Fairbairn Secretaries and
> CUCBC, we think that winds of 15-20 mph are still row-able for most
> novice crews. However the standard of rowing is quite variable between
> colleges/crews. Therefore,  we ask that each
> club risk assesses its own novice crews and their ability and decides
> for itself whether they are sufficiently competent to deal with the
> conditions forecast. If during marshalling we observe any crews
> clearly struggling to cope with the conditions, we will pull them from
> racing. This is not something we want to do so please make sure your
> coxes and crews are well prepared for the race and are safe and alert
> during racing. If conditions worsen throughout the day, I will be in
> contact with all marshals to let crews know of any cancellations.
> We will be giving all crews increased time gaps to try and avoid any
> situations with overtaking and increasing the number of marshals along
> the course. A full safety plan can be found attached. We advice crews
> taking part to have adequate (reasonably windproof) layers to marshal
> in, both before and after the race. We also want to reiterate that
> each novice crew must have at least one person to bank party and to
> help assist the crew when marshalling.
> There will be an assessment of the forecast on Wednesday afternoon and
> then, if needed, an inspection of the full course on Thursday morning
> before crews boat. All updates will be posted on the website, by email
> and on the Facebook group. In the event of any cancellation, the
> novice races will be rescheduled for the start of next term. The
> senior races will go ahead as planned on Friday.
> If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact me by 
> email.
> Kind Regards,
> Amir

Amir Akbari
Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2018
jcbc-fairbairns at jesus.cam.ac.uk

More information about the Captains mailing list