[CUCBC Coxes] Stopping

Mark Stringer coxing at cucbc.org
Thu May 28 09:47:11 BST 2009

Dear Coxes,

Further to my last email about spinning points on the river, I would like to
add that stopping in dangerous places is also not on.

By dangerous places, I principally mean the corners (and I include the small
bend just before the Penny Ferry), and also in the gut (where we simply need
to keep traffic moving on).  The caveat is of course that if you need to
stop because there are other stationary crews ahead, then it is fine.
However, don't keep sitting there for 5minutes while your coach gives you a
debrief - move on as soon as it is safe, and find a suitable point to stop
(ie on the reach, tucked right in and not disrupting spinning boats).

A final point is to make sure that any traffic immediately behind you knows
if you intend to stop where they might not expect (ie at the end of the
reach).  Especially coxless boats!  If there is someone behind, hail them
and tell them you intend to stop.

Thanks,

Mark

CUCBC Coxing Rep