[CUCBC Captains] Flags and other issues
peter.convey at btinternet.com
Mon Oct 20 09:18:52 BST 2008
Captains, please forward this to anyone who will be an early morning marshal
in the near future.
Instructions for Early Morning Marshals are on the website and in the
clipboard you pick up at Goldie. However, a few things need to be cleared
1. Location: the instruction sheets give rough locations for Marshal 1
and Marshal 2. To clarify, we would prefer if, at lighting down, Marshal 1
was near King's/Churchill/Selwyn boathouse and Marshal 2 was near
Clare/Pembroke/Emma boathouses to monitor boating times. After the initial
rush of crews at lighting down, Marshal 1 should move to the area
surrounding the gate to Stourbridge Common (including on towards Chesterton
footbridge) and Marshal 2 to around King's/Churchill/Selwyn boathouse. Keep
moving around during your shift though.
2. Marshals should be competent and should know most colleges' blade
colours. If you don't recognise some blades, try using the code on the boat
or the colour of kit. If you still don't know then describe the blade
colours and I'll work it out. *Don't* do as this morning's marshal did
and "miss out a couple I didn't recognise" (though if you know they're
"town" boats then do ignore them).
3. *Don't* write down boats coming back *unless* you didn't see them go
out at all *or* they're causing an accident/being too noisy/breaking some
4. *Do* write down University crews (although they will be leaving for
Ely in the next few weeks).
5. *Do* write down the size of boat (1x/2x/4+/8+/etc) - not all the
sheets say to do this but it is helpful for me.
6. *Do* be reasonably detailed with your notes - if crews are noisy,
report them. If they're extremely noisy, say that. *Don't* be lazy and
leave the notes column blank on every single boat - is it not a boring job
with lots of time to kill anyway?! Amusing comments are appreciated in
7. *Do* report any coaches accompanying boats before 7.30am, whether they
are coaching or not. If they are coaching, tell them (quietly) to stop (and
report it on your sheet).
8. Do remember the early morning restrictions (rule 8) will only be
brought in when we consider traffic to require it. The commencement of any
restrictions will be announced on the website and by email to all mailing
Thank you for your help in making this system work.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Captains