[CUCBC Coxes] Possible river pollution

Conor Burgess conor at cucbc.org
Sun Jun 25 10:13:21 BST 2023

Hi all,

The Environment Agency now believe the source of the dead fish was likely a localised area of very low dissolved oxygen, and that the heavy rainfall led to this poor quality water and the dead fish being washed downstream, which would explain why the dissolved oxygen content in the river measured on Tuesday (50%) was low, but not so low as to cause the fish deaths directly (the fact there were healthy fish observed in close proximity to the dead fish supports this too). They measured the dissolved oxygen levels back up at 100% on Friday, so the river seems to be recovering. The dead fish are expected to be washed down to the weirs where they will decompose, but the aeration of the water at the weir should counteract the reduction in dissolved oxygen which occurs with decomposition.

There is therefore no evidence that the river contains anything more harmful than it normally does, but Leptospirosis (Weil’s Disease) is always a risk, so please remember to always wash your hands after outings etc.

Best wishes,
Conor