[CUCBC Coxes] Cox briefings - Lents 2020

Isabel Nimmo izzy at cucbc.org
Wed Feb 12 10:36:54 GMT 2020

Dear college coxes (apologies to everyone else on these lists...),

The cox safety briefings for Lent Bumps will be held in the QB Lecture
Theatre in Emmanuel college on Sunday 23rd. If you show up at the p'lodge a
couple of minutes early then it's well signposted from there (or just
follow the crowds of small people in boaty stash). The Senior briefing will
be held at 19:15, and the Novice briefing will be held at 19:45 (and should
be done by 20:30).

Novice coxes (defined as those who have not competed *as a cox* in a set of
CUCBC* run bumps before) must attend in person, unless they receive prior
permission to miss it from the CUCBC Safety Officer.

Senior coxes (those who have competed before) may be represented by another
*senior *cox, provided that representative signs in and undertakes to brief
them in turn before the start of racing.

Town coxes - I get a few questions every year - you are most welcome to
come along if you really want to. The 'rules and marshalling' section of
the briefing may be a bit pointless, since we use somewhat different rules
and marshalling arrangements from CRA, but the second half of both
briefings is an analysis of the mindsets that have led to various accidents
over the last few years. So if you really really want to watch that and
listen to me grumble, you're welcome. But there may be more entertaining
ways to spend Sunday evening.

Bank party, rowers, coaches - you're all very welcome to come along too.
Many of you have been doing this far longer than I, but if you're new to
bumps and want an idea of what your cox is (*or maybe should...*) be doing,
it's a big lecture theatre. Feel free to join in!

Best wishes,

Isabel

* CUCBC rules are somewhat different to CRA, Torpids, Eights and Oxford
town bumps, so I'm afraid they don't count.