[CUCBC Coxes] Early mornings

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Tue Jan 31 20:27:42 GMT 2012

Dear all,

Please pass this onto your individual club mailing lists - I feel that
all rowers could do with a reminder of the basics of early morning outings:

1) Lighting down / pushing off
Lighting down is defined on the CUCBC website. Naturally there will be a
spot of variation in watches and optimistic readings thereof, but please
don't be silly about it.

At lighting down, there are probably 30-odd boats pushing out over a two
minute window into a very short bit of river. This morning I saw some
particularly appalling pushing out. If there is a crew directly opposite
your boathouse and pushing out will cause them to crash into a barge,
don't do it. Wait for a gap. Also don't push out and paddle up the wrong
side of the river - there are town rowers out before dark (including
several single scullers) who neither appreciate nor deserve to be held
up because of your impatience.

2) Lights
Lights are mandatory within 15 minutes of lighting up/down. While
mornings are overcast, as today, they are particularly important in
improving visibility reducing the risk of collisions. From what I've
seen this morning, you lot need all the help you can get in this
department. Lights should be bright, steady and white, mounted on both
your bow and your stern. Red lights are not white, and thus not
acceptable. Flashing lights are not steady, and thus not acceptable.
Lights so dim that your hull with a few years of Cam-scum built up on
the bow canvasses outshines them are not acceptable. Lights worn beneath
your cox's or bowgirl's (or bowman's) pony tail are invisible, and
definitely not acceptable. As for dim, red flashing lights beneath a
pony tail...

Please remember that second boats boating 10 minutes after lighting down
are also bound by this rule.

Failure to adhere to this rule will result in your club being fined.

3) Rowing
If, by some chance, you've managed to push off without cocking anything
up, please be careful for the rest of your outing, particularly outside
the boathouses. This morning there were far too many crews charging
ahead into the back of stationary boats in queues. I saw at least 3
near-misses, averted only by sudden holding-up of the boat and fortunate
steering.

Please also remember that until you are past the P&E, the half-crew,
half-slide rule applies. I don't want to see any more crews rowing arms
only and holding up a dozen boats behind. If you want to do technical
backstops paddling work, please keep it to the long reach where there is
space to comfortably and safely overtake. If you find yourself stuck
behind a slow crew, do not overtake unless it is clear and safe to do
so. Again, this morning there were far too many near-misses.

4) Crossovers
At the crossovers, the crews rowing upstream have right of way. This is
not dependent upon speed, cockiness or misplaced confidence. If you
cannot crossover without impeding crews coming upstream, wait. Do not
paddle past the crossover, then try to barge your way through upcoming
traffic either.

5) Spinning
If you are spinning at the lock, please row down to the 'spin here'
sign, spin quickly and row out of the spinning zone. Don't pull in
inside the spinning zone when there is space ahead, and don't sit 3 feet
away from the bank to have a coaching talk when crews are waiting behind
you to proceed upstream. If there is a queue of boats waiting to spin,
join the end of it. We should be masters of the very British art of
queueing, rather than careering all over the place, causing mayhem and
havoc like a fleet of Italian drivers.

If you are spinning at the bottom of the long reach, do not do so unless
you will not obstruct boats rowing upstream, i.e. from Ditton corner.
This causes long queues, not to mention difficulties at the nearby
crossover point.

6) Play nicely...
If only for the sake of my keyboard and blood pressure. Please think
about the other users of the river (not just college rowers), and if you
can avoid winding somebody up, even at a minor inconvenience to
yourself, please do so. This applies to where you stop to discuss with
your coaches, the type and speed of exercises that you want to do and
when paddling generally. The long reach is generally the best place to
do slow work. A weekday afternoon outing is even better, and is probably
as productive as a whole week of early morning outings.

Rant over, for the moment. If you've any questions on anything written
above, please let me know and I will attempt to clarify. Meanwhile,
let's please try to make the river a calmer place in the mornings.

Mark

Mark Jacobs
CUCBC Safety Officer