[CUCBC Contacts] Henley Boat Races Coach - 23rd of March

Gillian McFarland gm329 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Mar 4 11:10:10 GMT 2008

Is there any good reason why CUCBC excercises this self-imposed river ban on
Sundays from now until Michaelmas? AFAIK there is a gentlemans agreement
with town rowing clubs (the CRA) with the intention of allowing town rowers
a bit more river space on weekends assuming that many of them have full time
jobs and only go out during weekends. However, this assumption isn't true
and what happens is that the river on Sunday afternoons in the summer is
almost completely unused. This is to the detriment of rowing on the Cam as
the remaining six days therefore will become more congested and Saturdays
will become more unsafe for CRA novice scullers given the many college VIIIs
having outings.

It would be great if the CUCBC in consultation with the CRA would consider
extending the Michalemas and Lent rowing scheme (i.e. college rowing only in
the afternoon on weekends) throughout the whole year including holidays as
this would make for a more efficient use of the river.

These viewpoints are my own and may or may not represent sentiments among
members from my club.

Robert
Rob Roy BC