[CUCBC Captains] Umpiring Lent Bumps

Luke Barratt lukebarratt at cucbc.org
Sun Feb 19 12:39:21 GMT 2023

**Captains please forward this message to your Clubs**
Dear all,

I hope you're all looking forward to the upcoming set of Bumps races, which
of course cannot run without sufficient umpires. This is only the third set
of Bumps since the pandemic saw the races cancelled, so we still require a
large proportion of those around with two more sets of Bumps under their
belts to help out and umpire, so please do encourage members of your Clubs
to sign up - especially if they're not rowing in the top four divisions.

*Some carrots:*

   - Umpiring is a great way to get involved in the racing and you get the
   chance to be right at the centre of the action - either by cycling along
   with the crews or acting as a static umpire along the course
   - As a 'thank you' for your time, all umpires are offered a *free
dinner* (including
   drinks) at a pub the week after Bumps.
   - Each Club will have a certain allocation of marshalling to ensure the
   safe and smooth running of the Bumps. Everyone who volunteers for
   umpiring by noon on Saturday 25 February will count towards this marshal
   allocation. Trust me: umpiring is a lot more fun than marshalling.

You don't need to have umpired before to sign up. There will be a briefing
on the evening of Sunday 5 March for all umpires ahead of racing where we
explain everything and all new umpires are paired with a 'senior' one
during racing. However, we do ask that you have *rowed or coxed in at least
2 sets of bumps (Lents, Mays, or Towns)* before so that you understand how
the races work.

Please remember that you can both compete and umpire. We suggest you leave *two
divisions clear before* your race and *one after* to allow you to get to
and from the boathouses. The division times are available here:
https://www.cucbc.org/lents/times

The umpires briefing will be in the early evening of Sunday 5 March - 18:20
in Girton/Online (hybrid) - and last about 25 minutes, and I’ll endeavour
to distribute a first draft of the umpiring rota before the meeting.

You can sign up here: http://www.cucbc.org/lents/umpires/signup

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me at lukebarratt at cucbc.org

Many thanks,
Luke