[CUCBC Captains] Fairbairn Cup 2020

jcbc-fbsecretary at jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk jcbc-fbsecretary at jcsu.jesus.cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 20 15:18:57 BST 2020

Dear Captains,

I hope the start of the new term has gone well. It seems like everyone is adapting as best we can to the situation, and it has been great to see so many crews back on the river. I've been in contact before regarding Fairbairns and I am pleased to say that entries for 2020 will open on the 30th October.

The races will be held on:
Thursday 3rd December: men's and women's novice VIIIs,
Friday 4th December: men's and women's senior VIIIs and IVs.

Entries will cost £68 for VIIIs and £38 for IVs. Payment details are on the entry form. The deadline for entries is 20th November and payment must be completed by the 25th November.

This year we will only be accepting entries from clubs based on the Cam to discourage people from travelling into town and there will be no invitational categories. This means no alumni crews will be allowed to race unless all members live in Cambridge and their associated club is willing to host them. We will be doing our best to make the event as safe as possible, and we will expect individual clubs to practice their own safe warmup and boating procedures before each division.

Of course, the next couple of weeks will be critical in Cambridge's response to the increase in infections and training is likely to be affected in some way. If government or BR guidelines change meaning the race must be cancelled, we will endeavour to reimburse every entry as much as possible while covering the costs of organising the race. We have also left the payment deadline later than usual to hopefully allow for additional flexibility for scratches due to crews having to isolate.

There has been discussion of adding a small boats category to replace some of the novices, but before I can confirm or cancel this, it would be useful to get a better idea of the numbers of novice and senior entries clubs are expecting to enter. We will likely be running smaller divisions to allow for more distancing of crews during marshalling. If you could fill this form with expected entry numbers as soon as possible, I can finalise the divisions we will run: https://forms.gle/H2hDA5GZSPjDHQzC8

I really hope we are able to put on a great race for the whole Cam community. Please do get in touch if you have any further questions or comments.

Best,
Casey