[CUCBC Captains] Dev Squad - Summer Camp

Patrick Ryan patrick at cuwbc.org.uk
Tue May 3 13:10:26 BST 2016

Dear Captains

CUWBC would appreciate if you would forward the following information.

Dear all,

It is that time of year when we look to find candidates who are interested in trialling for the 2017 campaign.

Dates
Dev Squad’s Summer Camp will start with a meeting to highlight our technical focusses on Monday the 20th June at 17:30 in the Captain’s Room in Goldie.

The Outline of training will be:
Monday 		off
Tuesday 		AM Row, 	PM Weights 	(2 x start 16:00 and 17:30)
Wednesday 	AM Row, 	PM Ergo 		(2 x start 16:00 and 17:30)
Thursday		AM Row, 	PM Weights 	(2 x start 16:00 and 17:30)
Friday		PM Ergo				(2 x start 16:00 and 17:30)
Saturday		2 x AM Row			(Return to Cambridge by approximately (13:30)
Sunday		2 x AM Row			(Return to Cambridge by approximately (13:30)

This simulates an average training week for a CUW athlete.
There are a couple of dates were there are exceptions to this during the Henley Royal Regatta (HRR) Week which will be on the training programme once selected.
Selection
Ergo Testing will be a 2k test on either the the evening of the 10th/11th May. If there is any issue with these time slots please let me know as i am happy to talk to your coaches about how this can moved to fit with your schedule. Any questions about this please ask?

 <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwHtBITQn14Gaj7o1xIq6Syc0gpT4h2sp6UOJltke6Y/edit?usp=sharing>Sign up <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwHtBITQn14Gaj7o1xIq6Syc0gpT4h2sp6UOJltke6Y/edit?usp=sharing> here <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwHtBITQn14Gaj7o1xIq6Syc0gpT4h2sp6UOJltke6Y/edit?usp=sharing>:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwHtBITQn14Gaj7o1xIq6Syc0gpT4h2sp6UOJltke6Y/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dwHtBITQn14Gaj7o1xIq6Syc0gpT4h2sp6UOJltke6Y/edit?usp=sharing>

There will be a 20 minutes to warm up. We recommend something along the lines of:
10 minutes to low intensity urging at R18-20
3-4 minutes of rowing with 3-4 20 stroke bursts focussing on your pace and start.
1-2 minutes of stretching and sipping water
3-4 minutes of low intensity erging
Set up machine, 2000m and splits set to 500m splits.

Go!

You should have a plan, with split and technical focusses for at least every 500m. The fly and die method is not a plan. :)
We are looking for athletes to be faster than 7:45 for Open Weights and faster than 8:00 for Lightweights.

Cost
The cost will be £85. If this is a reason you are unable to participate please email me.
It includes:
Transport to and from Ely.
Kingston Regatta (at least 2 races each at a cost of £14 per seat)
A Dev Squad T-shirt
Use of CUW equipment and anything we need to hire for the 4 weeks.
Access/Use of Rowe.rs (our online training programme and data collection tool)
Some of the best coaching around. ;)

Week 4
This week is all in Cambridge.
You will need to organise with your college or club access to a single scull.

Frequently Asked Questions
Can i do part of the 4 weeks? Not ideal and will therefore be discussed on a case by case basis.
I’m a post grad and have a 9am start, can i trial? Absolutely. We train early to maximise people’s ability to make 9am. While we will use Minibuses most days if necessary we can use the train to ensure you get back on time.

Any issues or questions please email and i will get back to you ASAP.

Regards

Paddy

--
Patrick Ryan