[CUCBC Coxes] sporting behaviour

PETER CONVEY peter.convey at btinternet.com
Sat Jun 14 07:53:52 BST 2008

Dear all
a small session on my soapbox. I'm hearing too many instances of both crews and bank parties abusing opposing crews and supporters after bumps. We are following some of these up.
However, please apply a reality check - the Bumps is a sports event. Yes, you have trained, you want to do well, and celebrate when you succeed/are frustrated when you don't. No, this does not need to spill over into aggression and insults against other crews and individuals when you have bumped them or been bumped. If you descend to that behaviour you simply devalue what you've just done, and, as per the notes from Friday, you risk fines and even losing your bump!
So, captains, please emphasise this and set a good example to your club members and supporters. Coxes, please remember this as part of keeping discipine within your crew after any bumps or other incidents have happened.
Thanks, and let's have a good day's racing today.
Pete