[CUCBC Coxes] Fwd: Cox subbing for Cantabs

Ellie Darlington elliedarlington at gmail.com
Mon Oct 17 20:36:14 BST 2022

Dear Coxes,

(Apologies if you've seen a post about this in Coxes of Cambridge already!)

The Cantabrigian Rowing Club <https://www.instagram.com/cantabsrowing/>
(Cantabs) Senior Women's Squad are looking for sub coxes for the coming
season. We are a large squad and we have a group of coxes we call upon to
ask if they'd be willing to sub when some of our regular coxes are away.
With a couple of those leaving Cambridge, we'd love to hear from other
coxes who would be keen for occasional additional outings.

Our outings are all coached, and we have a 5-person coaching team for this
squad alone, including 2 who have won British Rowing coaching awards. We
also offer coxing coaching from separate coxing coaches.

Water sessions are early mornings before work finishing by 7:30am and
weekends at 7am.

There may also be opportunities to sub for races either on the Cam or
elsewhere, in eights or fours. Training is also available for coxes who
haven't coxed a bowloader before.

College coxes are allowed within CUCBC rules to cox town club outings
during 'college hours' without penalty, so it is also a good opportunity to
get extra water time, with the chance to practice racing lines where we
have subbing opportunities for on-Cam races.

To quote a reply from Isabel Nimmo to my post on Facebook:

> Firstly, CUCBC rules absolutely allow coxing for town clubs inside AND
> outside of college hours without compromising your ability to cox for your
> college in CUCBC races. I'm very happy to put that in writing from a CUCBC
> account to anyone with concerns (or their captain). And yes, this is
> different than for rowers.
> Secondly, sub coxing for a town club made me a much better cox while I was
> doing my degree, and it made me a much greater asset to my college crews.
> It's absolutely worth doing.
> Finally, this is an exceptional group of athletes to work with and learn
> from. I'm having to take some time off the water this year, and I miss them
> very much. I can absolutely recommend this group of rowers and coaches.
> It's a great opportunity! You'll get exposures to crews and races beyond
> what most colleges can offer, and have a great time while doing so. Contact
> Ellie now!

Additionally, if you are a recent graduate based in Cambridge (or know
anyone else who is) and are considering coxing us more permanently, we'd
love to hear from you. New rowers as well as coxes are welcome at any point
during the year.

Please email womens.captain at cantabsrowing.org.uk for more information!

Thanks,
Ellie