[CUCBC Coxes] Statement regarding May Bumps 2021.

Limeng Zhu limeng at cucbc.org
Mon Apr 12 22:01:36 BST 2021

Dear all,

It is with regret that the CUCBC Committees have taken the hard decision to
cancel May Bumps 2021.

We are aware that most college coxswains have had at most 4 weeks of
training on the Cam over the past 12 months, and, given the recent
announcement from the Vice-Chancellor that students are unlikely to be
allowed to return en masse before Monday 17th May, we feel that it is not
possible to safely organise the traditional May Bumps at the end of the
academic year. We are also aware that some smaller clubs rely on the
availability of "novice" rowers in order to field a bumps crew, and
understand that most novices have also had at most 4 weeks of training so
far this academic year.
With this in mind, we would instead like to plan to hold a non-contact
rowing event, to take place at the end of term. Such an event would not
require a 12-outing rule and could potentially take different formats, or
have different divisions, for novice and senior crews, allowing more people
to safely take part.
To gather information about the feasibility of such an event, and to gauge
interest in different options, we have circulated a short survey to
Captains, which we ask they complete by 2pm Thursday. Apologies for the
short timescale, but this is to give us time to collate responses and
formulate proposals to take to the Captains meeting this weekend.

The CUCBC Committees.