[CUCBC Coxes] Outings in Deteriorating Conditions

Conor Burgess conor at cucbc.org
Wed Jan 31 10:28:59 GMT 2018

Dear all,

*Captains please forward to your VCs, LBCs, coxes and coaches.*

Unfortunately we didn't foresee the conditions this morning deteriorating
significantly between the flag being checked just before 7am and the very
high wind / gust speeds that followed about an hour later. Apologies for

However, it is extremely important for crews (coxes and coaches in
particular) to remain vigilant and constantly aware of their ability to
cope with the conditions. If a crew starts struggling - even if the flag
allowed them to go out - they should be cutting short their outing and
returning to the boathouse as safely as possible. The coach should be
aiding the cox in getting their crew back safely if this is the case.

As is clearly stated on the flag page:

*N.B. Where the Flag permits a given crew to boat (i.e. green or yellow
flag), the final decision lies with the cox and coach as to whether that
crew is able to handle the conditions and thus whether boating is

That decision does not stop as soon as you've pushed off; you must
re-assess continuously throughout the course of the outing. We will have to
start fining crews and then imposing training bans on crews which do not
demonstrate sensible decision making in this regard.

Best wishes,
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.cucbc.org/pipermail/coxes_lists.cucbc.org/attachments/20180131/f9ec4909/attachment.html>

More information about the Coxes mailing list