[CUCBC Coxes] Observation, courtesy and caution

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Sun Nov 1 22:02:15 GMT 2015

Dear All,

We're getting to the point in term where lots of novice crews venture
further than the P&E, adding to the morning traffic on the lower stretch
of the river as well as making the row home something of an obstacle course.

So far this term I've seen plenty of low-level incidents resulting from
crews either not looking/planning ahead or by making inappropriate
choices (e.g. the go/no-go decision when lining up an overtake). Less
happily, we have had a couple of incidents that have caused reasonably
serious damage to boats (though as yet we have avoided injuries, to the
best of my knowledge).

I would ask that as the river gets busier, and particularly as the
mornings begin to shorten again, that all crews act with courtesy and
consideration to other river users. If you see a novice crew skewed
across the river and trying to sort themselves out, it's probably better
to hang back and give them space to do so than to barge through with
blades drawn in at the last minute. Yes, you might get through, but
you'll make life harder for the novice cox (as well as delaying the
three or four crews behind said novice boat!) Similarly, if you find a
crew on the wrong side of the river (particularly at the crossovers),
better to easy, even if it's your right of way, than to bullishly press
on and risk damage and injury. Play nicely, and you might find that
other crews try to make your life easier too.

Finally, CUCBC rules require that any boat on the water within 15
minutes of lighting up / down carry a white light on each end. They must
also use lights at any time during limited visibility (i.e. fog). I've
long given up explaining the difference between red lights and white
lights, as it seems too difficult a concept for certain individuals, but
if you're going to use a red light please make sure it's on your stern
rather than the bows! Please also make sure that you have decent
batteries in your lights - if your stern is visible before your stern
light, not only is the light useless but you are at risk of getting
rear-ended in a queue. You may also be fined, unless you're so invisible
that you slip past the early morning marshal completely unnoticed (not a
recommended tactic).

Captains - the deadline for safety statements is fast approaching. So
far I've had about half the number I expect. As ever, let me know if you
have any questions.

Regards,

Mark Jacobs
CUCBC Safety Advisor