[CUCBC Coxes] Rules of the River AGAIN

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Thu Nov 17 18:51:28 GMT 2011

Dear all,

Further to last week's email, please make sure that everyone in your
club is aware of the following:

At crossover points, you are obliged to give way to crews coming
upstream. This is not optional. There have been too many crews lately
barging their way through, leading to blade clashes and hold-ups on the
river.

Lights are on your boat for a reason. If, as on Tuesday morning, you are
boating in fog, it is your responsibility to ensure that you are visible
to other river users. If the batteries in your lights are so weak that
the light is pathetically dim, you are essentially unlit. This means
that there is very little to stop another crew from rowing at pressure
into your stern! Of course, in such conditions you may decide that
boating with or without lights is unsafe, or that the outing should be
cut short if conditions worsen.

'Half crew, half slide' is an incredibly simple concept. Why does it
prove so elusive, and why did I see this morning an VIII rowing with
arms and bodies around Chesterton corner? It causes queues, and also
leads to people trying to overtake when they are less than certain that
the river is clear. Please remember to have at least half of your crew
rowing half slide or more (I don't care which half) until you are below
Chesterton.

I hope that no further reminders about courteous and safe use of the
river are necessary this term...

Regards,

Mark Jacobs
CUCBC Safety Officer