[CUCBC Coxes] Dangerous coxing - A few stern words.

Edward Randolph ejr53 at cam.ac.uk
Sun May 2 22:15:12 BST 2010

Hello Coxes!

I have been asked by the Senior Committee to send out an email ticking you all off for the number of accidents that have happened on the river over the last few weeks, a lot of which seem to have been the result of dangerous coxing.

Generally I am quite sympathetic towards coxes on the Cam as I know how tricky it is to cox on a tiny river with so many boats, but from what I understand a number of the accidents over the last few weeks have been the result of seriously dangerous and totally unnecessary coxing, and really this is not good enough. In most other clubs across the country any contact between two boats is an extremely serious event, and I think its important we don't let the peculiarities of the Cam become an excuse for accidents; we should be able to avoid any accidents at all. A lot of these accidents were the result of really negligent coxing, and collectively we need to raise our game as this kind of thing is not good enough.

Ted's top tips:

1. You as a cox are totally in charge of keeping your boat safe.

2. Often coaches and crews are not able to notice dangerous situations as they are concentrating on other things. Make sure if you see something dangerous, act immediately as your bankparty may not have seen it. Don't wait to check.

3. Take control; don't be bullied into doing something by your coach and crew that you don't think is safe.

4. If you are going to hit something, stop. All too often coxes think stopping is an admission of guilt. This is not the case. Stopping is much better than a big clash, damaging your boat/blades, or even  someone breaking a wrist. Just stop, and then establish who was most in the wrong.

5. Always ask to come by before overtaking a crew.

6. Whenever you are doing something that might be risky, make sure you have checked it is indeed safe rather than just taking someone else's word for it.

The level of accidents has now become so high that the CUCBC are starting to consider not just fines, but possible training bans. Most of these serious accidents could have been prevented by sensible coxing, so make sure your actions do not give the Senior Committee the opportunity to ban your boat from the water.

Happy coxing,

Ted