[CUCBC Coxes] Coxing in a high stream

Christopher Kerr culrc at cucbc.org
Sun Feb 15 00:26:22 GMT 2009

Here are some more coxing tips for strong currents (also valid for coxless
boats). If you know what you're doing then you may choose to disregard these
(I'm not a cox after all), but be aware - accidents can happen to anyone, so
if you're not following these guidelines then you should be able to give a
reason why.
The general principle is that you should not allow yourself to have reduced
manouevrability when facing downstream, because when facing downstream you
have to back it down to remain stationary relative to the bank and if backing
down was as easy and efficient as rowing on then backing down races wouldn't
be confined to the preliminary rounds of Catz Cardinals' Regatta.

[Numbered to continue from Mark's points]

8) When you have just boated, you probably won't be able to call on the full
crew because some rowers will be fiddling with their footplates, putting kit
away etc. Whenever there is a strong stream, and particularly if the river is
also a long way up the hard so you can't easily hold on to or push off the
bank, you should boat facing upstream and should not start turning to face
downstream until the entire crew is ready. Start your warm-up rowing upstream
if necessary.

9) Trying to land facing downstream (not really relevant for the Cam unless
you are pulling into the bank) is a recipe for disaster. Once your bows are
pointed into the bank, you need to be moving faster than the current in order
to steer closer in - if you slow down then your stern will be dragged out into
the middle of the river. This is obviously incompatible with stopping at a
particular place on the bank.

10) If you really need to pull in facing downstream (e.g. marshalling for
Bumps) then stop in the middle of the river, level with your intended
marshalling space, angle the stern towards the bank, and back it down slowly
in pace with the current. This will bring you into the bank in a controlled
fashion.

11) When spinning, use the stream to help you turn. Keep the end of the boat
you want to be facing upstream near the bank, and the end you want downstream
near the middle of the river. As with (8), if you're turning to face
downstream then make sure everyone is ready to row before turning, whereas if
you're turning to face upstream then don't let anyone start faffing until you
have turned.

--
Christopher Kerr
St Catharine's College