[CUCBC Coxes] Keep it courteous!

Mark Stringer coxing at cucbc.org
Thu Nov 13 21:31:09 GMT 2008

Guys,

Emails are starting to float in regarding our behaviour on the Cam.

A few things then:

Be aware that town crews are not bound by any of our restrictions and you
may therefore encounter boats going in the opposite direction to all the
college crews (ie around lighting up time in the afternoon or after 8am in
the morning).  So please don't try dodgy overtaking manoeuvres because you
assume all the traffic is going one way!

When you are pushing off, check that it is clear to do so - don't push off
into the middle of the river and then sit there because there isn't anywhere
for you to go.

If you see a queue of boats formed up, don't try and skip past it to get
home a full one minute earlier.

If you find yourself in the wrong, then apologise!  It's especially
frustrating if you;ve had to hold it up because another boat is on the wrong
side of the river.  It is even more annoying when the same boat then moves
off like nothing has happened.

Please move out of the spinning zones as soon as you can - don't spin and
then do exercises in the same place for 5min.  Move upstream so that other
boats can spin in the correct place.

Be especially careful around scullers and remember that they are really
vulnerable if you clash into them.

I think in general, you guys have done a good job so far this year, so keep
it up & happy coxing,

Mark

CUCBC Coxing Rep