[CUCBC Coxes] Coxing Rep 2008-09

Dave White coxing at cucbc.org
Tue May 20 17:23:28 BST 2008

Dear coxes,

The time has come for me to pass on the mantle of Coxing Rep.  Rather than
performing the traditional chicken-kissing ceremony while wearing Blue
robes, this year we'll do it by the simple process of you sending in
manifestos, these going on the website and being mailed out, you making a
short speech after the Bumps meeting for senior coxes, then voting being
done by a show of hands while you disappear out of the room.

Laura is about to send out meeting times to captains and coxes, but I can
tell you that the meeting for senior coxes (those who have previously coxed
Mays) will precede that for the novice coxes (those who are coxing May Bumps
for the first time) on Sunday 8th June.  Since everyone coxing May Bumps is
required to attend at least one of these meetings, then by voting in between
them, we should get a fairly good percentage of the coxes being present to
vote.

The job description is straightforward:

- Give coxing talks at start of Mich to LBCs, to all coxes for Lent Bumps
and to all coxes for May Bumps
- Arrange talks given by 'external coxing consultants' (to be announced very
shortly)
- Muck in with running the CUCBC
- Any other bright ideas for improving Cambridge College coxing

The penultimate point is not a huge overall task, but it can demand a lot of
your attention at specific times, particularly if you are running an event
(Uni IVs, Bumps, Small Boats Regatta).  There are several random admin tasks
but these get divided between the Coxing Rep, the three Hon Secs, the web
team and Ian Thompson/Pete Convey so it's never a big thing.  Ultimately,
it's quite rewarding to play a part in organising College rowing, even if
you do occasionally get slated by someone who has the rowing experience of a
gnat's left testicle from time to time for "screwing up their outings".
Needless to say, we do nothing of the sort...we actually keep it running
fairly smoothly.  And of course it looks pretty on your CV.  I'll say
nothing about the lovely "Blue" splashtops that one is required to wear on
official occasions.

So, if you are interested in being the Coxing Rep next year, then please
send me a short manifesto (it doesn't need to be greater than one side of
A4...) by **Sunday 1st June**.  If you have any other questions on what the
job entails then I'll be happy to inform you.

Cheers,
Dave

--
Dave White