[CUCBC Contacts] Lent Bumps - Thursday and the rest of the week

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Wed Feb 28 22:05:47 GMT 2018

Dear All,

River and racing conditions update: Having run two divisions today, we
regretfully concluded that, while the river itself was rowable,
worsening conditions on the towpath meant that we had to cancel the
remaining divisions for safety reasons (even having already reduced the
bank party size to a maximum of 2 cyclists). Current temperatures are
well below zero, with -5 or lower forecast overnight, with tomorrow not
likely to get above freezing. There is also the possibility of further
snow. Realistically this means that conditions on the towpath are
unlikely to improve between now and scheduled racing tomorrow, and there
is also a reasonable chance of ice forming on the river itself. None of
CUCBC, the Cam Conservators or the County Council are able to grit the
towpath and further snow would leave gritting at this stage unlikely to
make a difference anyway. We will inspect the river and towpath
tomorrow, initially at 11.00 and also prior to the scheduled start of
racing. We will keep captains and clubs updated as to the possibility of
racing tomorrow, and will circulate a final decision on Thursday's
racing by 1.00 at the latest (i.e. before M4/W4 crews boat). We will
similarly make daily decisions for the remainder of the week.

The Chief Umpires have considered whether there are any alternative
arrangements that would allow us to proceed with racing some, if not
all, divisions. In particular we have considered lining the bank with
static umpires with a very limited number of CUs/DCUs accommpanying each
decision on bikes. We have come to the conclusion that within the
current constraints of weather, established racing practice and manpower
this would not provide an environment where we could effectively deal
with the full range of plausible racing incidents. While our discussions
are ongoing, the current thinking is that we will either run a
conventional Bumps race, or not run any race at all.

Further updates will follow tomorrow morning and later in the week.

Regards,

Mark Jacobs

CUCBC Safety Advisor and Deputy Chief Umpire