[CUCBC Contacts] Lent Bumps 2014 - Getting-on Race Women's Results

Tom Grimble tom at cucbc.org
Fri Feb 21 19:02:28 GMT 2014

Dear all,

Please find below details of a talk on 'Dementia in Rowing' taking place
this Sunday at 11am at Star Club, Bedford which may be of interest to
Cambridge rowers.

For more info, please hit reply or see https://twitter.com/StarClubRowing

Dementia affects 800,000 people in the UK, over 4,500 live in Bedfordshire
and in the next 10 years this number is predicted to rise by 20%. Living
with a dementia is a challenge, a physical progressive and degenerative
disease that affects the brain, causing impaired cognitive function, often
memory loss, decrease in ability to use reasoning, logic and sequencing
skills, challenges with communication and perhaps some behavioural changes.

There is no cure for dementia, but there is a growing body of research that
suggests that with the right support and stimulus, the progression and
symptoms of some dementia's can be slowed down and people can live better
for longer. This support and stimulus includes, a good diet, exercise
especially green outdoor exercise, social contact, cognitively stimulating
activities, achieving new goals and being valued.

Dementia is not an inevitable part of aging but the likelihood of
developing dementia does increase with age. (There are also a substantial
number of younger people, those under 65 living with dementia in the UK,
probably around 15,000 currently).

Having talked to the British Rowing, no other club in the UK to their
knowledge has a policy for supporting people living with dementia or have
plans to make their club dementia friendly.

We have a fantastic opportunity to become pioneers, to explore how we can
support current rowers who perhaps have some memory loss or might develop a
cognitive impairment, to look at how we welcome people who may have
dementia to club activities and functions at the clubhouse and how we can
all develop our own awareness and understanding of dementia so that we can
act as ambassadors for dementia in our daily lives.

So please come down and listen - there will be biscuits, Sarah has promised!

Thanks,

Matt Pooley