[CUCBC Contacts] Getting-On Race - details and river closure

Thomas Walton cuwbc at cucbc.org
Tue May 26 13:33:51 BST 2009

Although it may be difficult to believe for those of you currently in the
midst of revision and exams, the May Bumps are less than three weeks away.
Given the chaotic nature of bumps races, having lots of umpires on the bank is
crucial to the smooth running of the event.

Umpiring is a surprisingly fun way to get involved in the Bumps - bike umpires
get a better view of the action than anyone else, while even the supposedly
less interesting task of static umpire is pretty much the same as just
watching from the bank with the exception that you get to wear a fetching
fluorescent bib and carry a radio and megaphone. If that isn't enough to
persuade you, you get a free dinner on the Thursday of May Week and reduce the
number of marshals your club has to provide.

To help out, you don't need to have umpired before although we do ask that
you have rowed or coxed in at least 2 sets of Bumps in the past. (That said, I
had only rowed in one set of Bumps before I umpired for the first time -
what's important is that you know the basics of how the Bumps work.) There
will be a meeting for all umpires where we will explain everything and those
that have not umpired before will be paired with a 'senior' during the races.

If you would like to help out, please sign up at

https://spreadsheets.google.com/viewform?formkey=cnhFSjAtX01fZWpxT1FlN0lTcUkxYmc6MA

indicating which divisions you are available for (the times of the divisons
are listed at http://www.cucbc.org/mays/times ).

(If that link doesn't work because the link has been line-wrapped, try this
tinyurl link: http://tinyurl.com/qoydqa )

You can both compete and umpire (although obviously don't sign up to umpire
a division you're competing in or the divisions immediately before or after.)

If you have any questions, please get in touch.

--
Christopher Kerr
St Catharine's College

CULRC Hon: Sec: 2008-09