[CUCBC Contacts] Fwd: Mobile gantry, Riverside Bridge, River Cam, Monday 12th to Friday 16th May

Will Richards will at cucbc.org
Fri May 9 16:22:22 BST 2008

Dear All,

I recently received an email (attached) inviting Cambridge to send a team to
the Irish International Currach Championships, which will run from Friday 8th
to Sunday 10th August in Omeath in County Louth. Accommodation, meals and
transport to and from Dublin or Belfast airports (not to mention a generous
quantity of Guinness) are provided - you only need to pay for your flights
(if you live in Ireland then you don't even need to pay for those).
Other teams competing include Oxford, a couple of US universities, and a
number of currach clubs from across the US and Ireland.

A currach is a wide, keel-less sculling boat with thole pins instead of
riggers and gates (so you can't feather the oars) and fixed seats. They're
made from canvas stretched over a wooden frame and are therefore much lighter
than clinker-built tub pairs, but obviously don't really compare with a
racing shell. The lack of keel or rudder makes them quite difficult to steer
in a straight line, but you can use this to your advantage since there is no
rule against nudging your opponents off-course. More information can be found
on http://www.currach.org or, of course, on Wikipedia.

Having got you hooked, here comes the bad news: they currently only have
funding for a team of four (two men and two women, to make up a mixed quad as
well as smaller boats like doubles and singles) and the men's slots went
within an hour when I forwarded the email to the CULRC list. CUWBC, however,
don't seem to be so keen on freebies so the women's spaces are still open.
If you're interested and female, contact me - I'll allocate places on a
first-come, first-served basis. [That sounds a lot more dodgy than it did in
my head.] If you're male and want to be put on a waiting list in case they
get more funding and more places become available, also contact me.

--
Christopher Kerr
St Catharine's College

CULRC Hon: Sec: 2008-09