[CUCBC Captains] Testosterone requirements for transgender female rowers

Conor Burgess conor at cucbc.org
Wed Oct 20 09:33:58 BST 2021

Thanks Francis. For completeness, I include below the reply I sent Francis before last night’s meeting.

Hi Francis,

You’re welcome to raise this tonight, but the rules have already been voted on and approved by your predecessors in 2019 - the only thing to vote on tonight is the amendment. It’s too late to propose a new rule change for tonight, so I’d suggest this is best brought up at the start of Lent Captains meeting with a proposed rule change at least 48 hours before the Captains meeting so it can be included in the agenda.

One important aspect of the rules is a means to resolve disputes. The rules are completely meaningless if they’re unenforceable, and whilst we very much hope that it won’t be necessary to request a letter from anyone’s GP, it does provide an absolute and unquestionable means to resolve a dispute over eligibility if one were to arise. I’d encourage you to think about what alternative means could be put in place to ensure any rule change preserves this enforceability.

Whilst the testosterone level section of the rules is not ideal, it is in line with the Governing Body rules and the same limit will apply to competitors if they wish to take part in British Rowing competitions at any level, not just at international / Olympic competition. I would expect CUCBC to update the rule to track any changes to the British Rowing and IOC rules.

Best wishes,
Conor