[CUCBC Captains] QErgs 2021

Anna Feest af667 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Oct 5 22:22:39 BST 2021

Dear Captains,

We are pleased to announce that QErgs is back! Save the date for 7th November and please let all your lower boat captains know! QErgs is traditionally the first competition in the novice calendar and is the first chance for novices to compete as a crew. We enjoy running it just as much as you all enjoy taking part.

While we are thrilled to be running QErgs again, there are a number of other changes to help keep the event safe while still enjoyable. The QErgs presidents and QCBC committee have carefully considered how to run the event in a covid-friendly manner, and worked with Queens’ College to come up with a plan that minimises risks and fits local guidelines.

The main change is that everything will be outside under a marquee this year – still in Queens’, but on the nice side of the river. We will also be asking everyone involved to show proof of a negative lateral flow or vaccination, and there will be no finals as everyone will be required to leave Queens’ once their division is over. Unfortunately, we cannot allow spectators, but will be livestreaming the competition to our Facebook page. Crews will be distanced from each other and necessary details taken for contact tracing purposes. We will publish a full list of rules soon.

We are also required to limit the number of crews. This means that each college will be guaranteed a novice crew in both the men and women’s divisions, and subsequent crews will be entered into a random ballot for the remaining spaces. We are also running a mixed senior division as usual, but competitors must not have competed in QErgs before. This is to give a chance to rowers who missed out last year! More information and opening for entries will follow soon.

Please keep an eye on our Facebook page more information. If you have any questions or concerns, please email myself or one of the QErgs presidents below.

Best wishes,

Anna Feest, Tatiana Sedelnikov and Charlotte Smith

af667 at cam.ac.ukts790 at cam.ac.ukcls204 at cam.ac.uk