[CUCBC Captains] Action required: Statement regarding May Bumps 2021, SBR, Captains meeting

George Wallace george.wallace1995 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 15:05:09 BST 2021

Hi Limeng,

Thanks for the email. I’m not adding much to what will be tabled at the Captains’ meeting later this week, but please note the following points just so that you can foresee what the angle will be from the Captains:

A significant number of senior crews at boat clubs are already training as normal, in eights;
The majority of colleges have already allowed (and have indicated that they will continue to allow) students to return to Cambridge at their discretion for any reason (even though term has not yet started);
NB: Senior crews have trained in isolation every day for months, are finally now allowed to go rowing, and will not accept a cancellation of the top divisions of Bumps without bombproof reasoning (i.e. if the crews are training on the Cam already and there is no government or BR guidance preventing the racing from going ahead, we will be boating and racing as a matter of fact);
Discussions should be had around your valid safety concerns (particularly re coxing experience) and it may be sensible to restrict May Bumps 2021 to top divisions and experienced coxes only - for discussion at meetings;
Alternative events for novices and inexperienced crews should be discussed as you set out.

The captains have been putting together an information sheet setting out the number of experienced athletes they expect to have in Cambridge by the start of term. This will be shared (by the Pembroke captains I believe) ahead of the Captains’ meeting.

Cancellation of May Bumps is unprecedented in a time where student rowers are (i) training in eights in Cambridge, and (ii) allowed to race under government and national rowing guidance. It has never happened, for very good reason, and it never will.

Whilst it may make sense to exclude novice coxes from the races this year, discussions will be had at the Captains’ meeting at the end of this week about the basis on which Bumps will proceed in 2021 for senior crews (subject to any changes to COVID-19 rules in the meantime). We look forward to hearing CUCBC’s views on the Captains’ proposals.

George