[CUCBC Captains] Pilot survey for Fairbairns

Casey Shepheard cjs225 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Sep 8 11:13:53 BST 2020

Dear Captains,

My name is Casey and I am the Fairbairns Secretary for this year. Obviously, this term is going to be very different from usual, but we are all hoping we can get some rowing in and get back on the river!

British Rowing is currently in Phase F of their return to rowing plan, and it is looking likely they will move to Phase G shortly, meaning local inter-club competitions should be able to go ahead. Assuming this holds through term, I am hoping we will be able to run Fairbairns in some capacity at the end of term.

To that end, I think it would be useful to collect information from other clubs in order to figure out what divisions it would make sense to run. Novice term for many clubs is very up in the air (and may be postponed) but other clubs are planning to teach novices in tubs and small boats. It also seems that many clubs might be training in fours rather than eights, so it is possible it would make sense to run more fours divisions and fewer eights.

Small boats also look like they will be making up a larger percentage of training for some clubs, so if there are fewer novice crews, I am floating the possibility of holding a small boats division on the Thursday. This would be on a shortened course, and only for rowers for whom the risk of falling in is very low (hopefully let's avoid hypothermia from immersion in December). I'd appreciate feedback as to whether you might support this and if your club has access to small boats.

Please fill this form: https://forms.gle/ws2tPCcfY1zCExPN9, and feel free to email me with any further discussion!
Any information would help in organising a (safe) Fairbairns making the best of the situation and giving us a reason to get up for those cold early mornings!

Best wishes,
Casey.