[CUCBC Captains] QErgs 2020

Anna Feest af667 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Oct 22 21:29:18 BST 2020

Dear Captains,

Entry for QErgs 2020 is now open! The format is going to be a little bit different this year, but we hope it’s still going to be fun and encourage all of your novices to row even more. So save the date – 22nd November.

QErgs is going to be a virtual event this year – unfortunately, but perhaps predictably, an in-person event will not be possible this year. We are hoping that things will be different this time next year though, which is also the 25th anniversary of QErgs!

Instead, we are inviting crews to compete from their own boathouses, colleges, or wherever you can find an erg. We have developed the technology to allow the races to be synchronised, so that crews are in fact racing against each other in real time. A livestream of the crews themselves will be broadcast so that everyone across Cambridge will be able to follow along. The race itself will still be the same: 8 competitors all completing a 500m sprint.

We know that not every boat club has the same facilities available and everyone is facing different restrictions at the moment, and we want everyone to be able to compete in QErgs. Crew entry is going to be slightly different as well this year, so that we have some time to work with boat clubs to sort out individual problems as best we can – internet connections, livestreams, even a place to erg.

To begin the process, we’re opening up a club entry form, to be filled out by one member of your boat club. We don’t need final details about exact crews yet, although we are asking for an estimate of how many crews you are aiming to enter when we open crew entry closer to the event. We would also like each boat club to nominate a contact person for us, who ideally knows their boathouse/college/other location pretty well and is reliable.  We will then get in contact with them about any issues you may have with being able to run a virtual QErgs from your boathouse and work with them to sort these.

Each boat club needs at least one erg available to them, although this doesn’t necessarily have to be in your boathouse. Smaller clubs with less crews are welcome to come to an arrangement with each other, as are clubs sharing boathouses – please talk to us about this first, as this does also rely on fitting into division times.

Club deposit is £25 per club, which covers the costs of the equipment needed to run a virtual QErgs. This will be deducted from the total cost of crew entry, which we currently estimate will be around £50 per crew. This also includes t-shirts! We will confirm the cost of crew entry when we have a better idea of how many crews we can expect.

Our rules and terms and conditions have been updated to reflect the current situation, in particular in the event of cancellation, and you can find them here<https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JzRd5caeyU9jXv7AGNkPsLjiBvuyPOUKGDld4Haqpt8/edit?usp=sharing>. Feel free to follow the QErgs page on Facebook and click going on the event.

Please don’t hesitate to get in touch with us if you have any questions – but for now, here is the club entry form!

https://forms.gle/ULG5JT6fnsJ37ZCA9

Best wishes
Anna Feest and Sam Amey
QErgs Presidents 2020