[CUCBC Captains] Fog / Lights

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Sat Jan 27 01:37:00 GMT 2018

Dear All,

This morning was, I think, the first foggy morning of the term. I'm sure
it won't be the last. I've had a few reports of crews that were either
poorly lit, or entirely lacking lights, and I'd be very glad not to hear
any more this term!

For the first 15 minutes after lighting down (and the last 15 before
lighting up), all crews are required to show a steady white light on
their bow and stern. On overcast mornings in particular this makes it
much easier for coxes to judge distances when rowing up behind queueing
boats. Most of us (myself included) are guilty of letting our lights get
a little too dim before changing batteries. When it's foggy though,
bright lights are absolutely necessary because they are the first thing
a cox of another boat will see.

Imagine a men's VIII travelling at a decent pace - how much time do you
think it takes from their cox seeing something ahead to calling for the
boat to hold it up? What is their stopping distance when the call has
been made? Would you rather that they saw your bright light from 70 /
80m away or your dim light from 30 / 40m? Or your unlit stern from 20m?!

Captains - if you don't have a decent stock of spare batteries in the
boathouse, buy some. Crews are a  lot more likely to go out with crap
lights if that's all they have to hand.

Coxes - you're the first thing that a crew approaching from behind will
hit. If you have a healthy sense of self-preservation, take
responsibility for checking at the start of every outing that your
lights (if you need them) are bright. When visibility is poor please
take extra care to keep a good lookout. If there's dense fog and you're
not comfortable with how much you can see, talk to your coach to  let
them know how you're getting on and to decide between you what you can
safely and usefully do in the rest of the outing. Finally, be extremely
careful with overtaking!

Any questions, let me know...

Regards,

Mark Jacobs