[CUCBC Captains] Coxes & Stopping

Michael Thornton michael at cucbc.org
Tue Feb 2 12:54:38 GMT 2016

Dear Captains

I am becoming increasingly concerned with the number of crews that seem unable to stop their boats. Please make sure your coxes and rowers understand the need for an emergency stop, and get them to practice doing it. My advice would be to rotate the blade slightly and bury so as to put the top edge of the blade under water. This is far more effective than trying to square up into the water, but does require some degree of skill else you might go swimming.

I will emphasise again that we will remove any crew that we deem unable to stop itself quickly enough in a bumps situation, even if that crew is a first boat.

Michael Thornton
CUCBC Honorary Secretary 2015-2016