[CUCBC Captains] Uni IVs Marshalling/Umpires Rota

Michael Thornton michael at cucbc.org
Sat Oct 24 21:11:37 BST 2015

Please see below, if interested, from Timarie Chan, offering Yoga Classes for rowers.

Hello!

My name is Timarie Chan, and I am a certified yoga teacher wanting to integrate yoga into competitive rowing in Cambridge. Yoga is a great complement to traditional rowing training with the potential to greatly increase athletic performance and prevent injury with consistent practice.

These sessions will focus on mobility, core strength, and body/mental control under pressure.

Yoga classes are mentally and physically beneficial, and can also be a fun and exciting part of the rowers weekly routine. This is also be a great way to combine the men's and women's teams as an opportunity to bond and interact.

I offer both short sessions, which can be added onto the end of an erg or lift, or long sessions, which can be tailored to individual training plans as a full session once a week.

45 minutes : £20
60 minutes : £30
90 minutes : £40
*I am happy to negotiate block discounts or term packages.

There are limited time slots available, so please contact me at timariechan at gmail.com <mailto:timariechan at gmail.com> and we can discuss scheduling options. I look forward to working with you and your team!

Below I have listed some of the considerable benefits to a consistent yoga practice:

Yoga can help improve your athletic performance
Strength

- Improves lean muscle mass, especially underutilized muscle groups
- Enhances core body stability
- Impedes overuse injury by strengthening supportive muscles
- Creates a more functional overall strength
Mental control
- Distinguishes two top athletes or teams, particularly in psychologically demanding sports such as rowing.
- Improves your ability to quell, quiet, and control the impulses of the mind
- Helps maintain laser focus, allowing the athletes to stay rooted in the present moment without the invasion of unhelpful thought patterns
- Improves sleep and reduces stress

Balance
- Improves coordination and use of multiple muscle groups at once
- Enhances body control and proprioception, leading to better “boat feel”
- Leads to better technique and form in compromised positions i.e. at the catch
Flexibility
- Leads to greater range of motion and increase in performance latitude for particular movements/series of movements
- Creates opportunity to strength condition particular muscle groups

--
Timarie Chan
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2015