[CUCBC Captains] Queens' Ergs 2015: Deadline extension and general information

B.P.W. Catterall bpwc2 at cam.ac.uk
Thu Nov 5 20:27:58 GMT 2015

Dear all,

The entries for the 2015 Fairbairn Cup Races are now open!

You can find more information and enter your crews here:
http://jcbc.jesus.cam.ac.uk/old/fairbairns/

The regatta will be held on 3rd and 4th December 2015, with three novice
divisons on Thursday 3rd and three senior divisions on Firday 4th.
Please also find attached the rules and regulations for the regatta -
these are also available on the website.

I am very excited this year to announce a greatly revamped prizes system
for the regatta! In previous years winning crews other than the senior
1st boats were awarded only a single Fairbairn Cup shield per crew. This
year every single member of every winning crew will be awarded a
commemorative winning shield!
Furthermore, after many years lost, the original Fairbairn Cup (dating
from the very first Fairbairn 'Lock to Lock' regatta in 1928) has been
found - please see the photo attached! After undergoing some restorative
work, the cup will be presented to both the winning senior 1st women's
and men's crews whose names will of course be added to the cup! Sadly
for both insurance and sharing (the cup dates to a quasi-medieval time
before women were admitted to the university) reasons we are not in a
position to allow winning crews to take temporary ownership of the cup
for year subsequent to their victory, as might be conventional, however
we are looking for ways to solve this problem - watch this space in
future years!

I hope you will agree that these changes will only enhance the spectacle
and prestige of winning at the Fairbairn Cup Races, and thus inspire
your rowers to train that little bit harder(!), however I would very
much appreciate any feedback you might have on the changes, good or bad.

If you have any questions regarding entries or the regatta in general,
again, please do not hesitate to contact me at:
jcbc-fairbairns at jesus.cam.ac.uk. Otherwise, I look forward to seeing you
all at the regatta in one months time - work hard in training if you
want a lovely wooden shield on your wall!

Ben Gallant

Jesus College Boat Club Fairbairn Cup Secretary 2015