[CUCBC Captains] Lent Bumps 2015 - Wednesday Notes & Fines

Michael Thornton michael at cucbc.org
Wed Feb 25 22:29:48 GMT 2015

Dear Captains,

I am replying to you now, but do not wish to discuss this at the meeting tonight, as I plan to raise this issue in the near future. I consider this to be relevant to the issues we will be talking about regarding the decisions made by CUCBC in recent months regarding bumps and will send out another email shortly to raise specific points that we would like to discuss.

In this email I would just like to clarify several points that CUCBC have left out of this statement:

They did respond to us with a suggestion that we search for a substitute from another college. We had already been discussing with Captains from various colleges about their ability to lend us a sub. Many of them were unable to confirm if they could lend us a sub at this time. We then sent an email to the Captains list (as per CUCBCs suggestion) asking all Captains if they had a sub who could begin training with us as soon as possible. This email was sent out on the 30th Jan (still 3 weeks before bumps). We had not a single response from any Captain following this email, and so decided to send another appeal to CUCBC stating that we had no offers for a substitute. We then had no response for over a week and prompted them again for a decision. In the mean time we kept on the look out for a substitute. Shortly after this, understandably they became very busy with other matters regarding the emergency Captains meeting and replied to us in an email on the 8th Feb explaining that they would respond to us as soon as they could.

They then gave us a confirmed ‘no’ on the 13th Feb (just 11 days before bumps) with the only justification that it did not fall within the rules. They then suggested that we could now find a sub from any recently scratched crews - a W4 crew was given as a suggestion.

This whole process was involving several of our college fellows and the Master who all agreed that this decision was not fair and that not enough justification was given to consider this situation not worthy of an exceptional circumstance - if not the at least to allow the boat to remain safe, instead of bringing in a sub just 11 days before bumps, who has come from a scratched crew, and may not have had experience in high rating pieces - something which we had already been training and had become quite competent at that point.

I therefore bring my email to a conclusion and some points for your consideration. I just want to reiterate however, that I will not be raising these points at the meeting tonight, as it will not be the place for this discussion, but I will certainly be raising it at the next Captains meeting:

1 - What do you all think about their latter suggestion that we find a sub from a scratched crew, particularly a W4? Doesn’t this contradict the reasons that they are trying to reduce the amount of inexperienced crews in Lent bumps, and in fact increase the risk of an accident occurring? I believe that putting a W4 sub into a W1 crew who has been training 6 times a week is a frankly outrageous suggestion. This not only goes against any safety concerns, but is insulting to us as a crew who has been training extremely hard all year, but was unfortunate to have one person become injured.

2 - Would you consider this decision 11 days before bumps to be in a timely manner?

3 - What would you consider to be an exceptional circumstance, if not a college who has tried extremely hard to recruit and train up novice rowers, who follow all of CUCBCs suggestions, but is still left in an impossible situation?

If you could, please think about these points, and try to understand that we are a small college who struggle, but who try extremely hard to solve these problems to allow our college to continues competing in these brilliant races. We do not wish to discuss this issue at this point, but I felt I should clarify a few points in response to this email. We sent out the previous email simply to gage the interests of other captains in such an issue and to find out what their opinions might be, as rowing in Cambridge should be in the interest of all parties involved.

I wish everyone the best of luck in the Lent Bumps races.

Regards,

Megan.