[CUCBC Captains] Bumps programme submissions and pre-order - ACTION REQUIRED

Tom Grimble tom at cucbc.org
Thu Jan 30 14:56:22 GMT 2014

Dear All,

After the Head-2-Head last weekend, I've received reports that a number
of college boats were found to have inadequate heel restraints.

Heel restraints are there to make escape easy in case of capsize. They
should prevent the heel of any shoe from coming above the horizontal
when lifted. British Rowing and CUCBC require that they are fitted to
all boats, and they they are robust (i.e. not likely to snap when you
try to escape). Concept2 style footplates should not be used in an
unmodified form - please contact me if you would like further information.

In Michaelmas term each club submitted an annual safety statement, which
explicitly stated that all of your boats were appropriately maintained.
I'm disappointed to hear that this is not the case for a small number of
clubs, and will be making individual contact with those concerned.

Regards,

Mark Jacobs
CUCBC Safety Advisor