[CUCBC Captains] Banned from the river...

Mark Jacobs mark at cucbc.org
Wed Oct 9 00:36:23 BST 2013

Dear All,

At the start of each academic year, CUCBC carries out a check that all
clubs hold appropriate insurance, and that details have been provided on
the CUCBC website. Please note that appropriate insurance includes
'Member to Member' insurance, i.e. the policy will cover situations
where all parties are members of the same club (e.g. your M5 crashes in
to your W3, with resulting injuries and chaos all round).

Currently there are only abour half of all clubs which show insurance
policies in place that will still be valid when terms starts (which I am
taking to be 8 October). Please make sure that you have provided details
before the start of term, or your club will not be permitted to boat
until I have seen evidence of such a policy.

In addition, note that in the Safety section of the CUCBC Handbook,
point 4 gives a list of information which must be submitted by your
club's Safety Officer by the end of Week 4. Please make sure that CUCBC
has up-to-date contact details for your Safety Officers, and that the
required statements are submitted on time. This year's statement is
attached. While the eternal optimist deep within me would like to
suggest that I'll get 31 copies back at the start of week 4, the more
dominant pessimist tells me that I should nonetheless be resigned to
emailing it around to you all at least thrice more. Details of the
required information can be found at
http://www.cucbc.org/handbook/safety - please let me know if you need
any help. Regarding the last question, I certainly don't need a running
score over the term of how many of your new recruits have decided that
they don't like getting blisters/getting up 'early' for a 7.30
outing/your LBCs! The question is included to give British Rowing an
idea of the scale of participation in the sport, and a rough figure at
some point in Week 3/4 will be fine.

Regards,

Mark Jacobs
CUCBC Safety Advisor