[CUCBC Captains] Trialling for CULRC - please forward

Chris Kerr culrc at cucbc.org
Tue Aug 10 20:11:21 BST 2010

Dear Captains,

Please could you forward the message below onto your Boat Club Members.

Trialing for CULRC is a great way of developing athletes within your
boat club, those who earn their half blue enjoy representing their
colleges in the May Bumps each summer.

Trialists return from a high performance rowing program with increased
experience and fitness, and are able to row in the Lent and May Bumps.

Chris Kerr
St Catharine's College
CULRC Hon: Sec: 2008-11

Dear All,

The Cambridge Lightweights are currently looking for both rowers and
coxes to trial for the 2010 - 2011 season. If you have a passion for
rowing, then we would strongly encourage you to consider trialing this
year.

You would join the lightweights high performance training program
leading to the annual Varsity race against Oxford, where we will be
defending our title. The club is run in a professional manner  with
first rate facilities and services including physiotherapy, a
nutritionist, training consultants, professional coaching and 36 years
of experience in lightweight rowing.

Further to this, throughout the year you will make great friends with
your fellow trialists and have the opportunity train and compete
within a dynamic, successful environment.

Rowing for CULRC goes far beyond the boat race on March 27th. This
year the lightweights have put top crews into BUCS, Marlow, Henley
Royal Regatta, the European Universities Championships, and have
athletes representing GB at the World Universities Championships.

CULRC has a fantastic infrastructure to support a wide-ranging variety
of abilities. From our superb coaching team to support those who have
completed a year of rowing with their colleges, to our excellent links
to GB, through which we help athletes through the trialing process.

Trialing for CULRC commences on 20th September this year for a pre-
term training camp on the Cam. If you cannot make this date, please
arrange to return to Cambridge as soon as possible. These 2 weeks
allow us to asses your rowing ability, and you to settle into the
trialing process before term starts.

If you are interested in trialing for CULRC then you must subscribe to
the CULRC-interested mailing list by clicking on the following link:

further communication will be via this mailing list.

As a guideline for potential trialists we recommend the following
attributes:

  - Weighing under 85kg on September 20th.
  - Rowers should be at least sub-7 minutes over 2k and ideally sub-6:50
  - For those wishing to attend GB Trials, we would expect significant
prior sculling experience, and a 2k score below 6:30.

  - Coxes should have at least a year's experience and consider
themselves capable of coxing their college first VIII.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact me by e-
mailing: president at culrc.org

I look forward to seeing some of you in September,

Chris Bellamy

--

Christopher Bellamy
CULRC President 2010-11